For many people, the state of Colorado immediately conjures images of mountains and skiing, and that is why many people want to visit the area. As they travel through the state, they may end up passing through Monument, CO, and they are sure to be impressed by the small but picturesque town.
Those who are looking for a beautiful getaway that they can call home should certainly give Monument more than a fleeting thought. It is a family-friendly place with plenty of activities to enjoy, both indoors and outdoors. While it is on the way from Colorado Springs to Denver, visitors quickly realize that it is more than just a pit stop.
In addition to the trendy restaurants and great cafes, you will see breathtaking views and the glory of nature when you check out Pike National Forest. There is a strong hiking enthusiasm throughout the town thanks to the Santa Fe Trail, and Monument Rock is a sight not to be missed. There are just under 11,000 residents in Monument, and you could be the next to add to that population count if you decide to invest in a home there. Barb Schlinker and team will be happy to show you an ideal home in Monument!
Thinking about moving to Monument? Learn more about restaurants, things to do, and daily life in the area by reading our short guide about living in Monument.
Monument Homes For Sale | Buying a Home in Monument
Thinking about moving to Monument, Colorado? Finding homes for sale in Monument can be challenging. The neighborhood is filled with new construction homes, and there is heavy competition from other home buyers.
Below, our team at Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty - Barb Has the Buyers Team will discuss what to know about Monument before deciding to move there. We’ll cover the housing market, job market, crime rates, and more.
- Monument, Colorado, is a town located along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. It has 10,399 residents and is known for its natural beauty.
- In recent months, the median sale price of Monument homes for sale was $675,000. This represents a 2.5% decrease compared to the same point last year.
- Monument is served by the Lewis-Palmer School District, which has 6,500 students and a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. The district spends $8,294 per student.
- The Monument job market is experiencing a higher rate of growth than the national average, at 38.20% compared to 30.54%. The unemployment rate is 2.5%.
- Monument has a violent crime rate of 11.8% which is about half of the U.S. average of 22.7%. The property crime rate is 38.3%.
Should I Live in Monument?
Monument, Colorado, is a town located along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. It has 10,399 residents and is known for its natural beauty. Monument offers residents stunning views and ample opportunities for outdoor recreation, from hiking in the Rampart Range to fishing at Monument Lake. The town’s small-town charm is evident in its community events, farmers’ markets, and historic sites like the Santa Fe Trail.
Monument’s proximity to Colorado Springs adds to its appeal, providing access to additional amenities while maintaining the tranquility of a close-knit community. With quality schools, a beautiful natural environment, and a family-friendly atmosphere, living in Monument offers an idyllic setting for those seeking a balance between suburban and rural characteristics.
What’s the Housing Market Like in Monument?
In recent months, the median sale price of Monument homes for sale was $675,000. This represents a 2.5% decrease compared to the same point last year. The median price per square foot is $203, which is a 3.6% increase compared to last year.
Most homes spend an average of 41.5 days on the market and tend to sell for 0.1% under their list price. The hottest homes sell in around 15 days and for nearly one percent over their list price. Overall, 33.3% of homes sell above their asking price and 21.2% of homes end up experiencing a price drop at some point after being listed.
How Do I Find Homes For Sale in Monument?
Staying organized, flexible, and proactive is key to finding a home in your budget as a buyer. But before you start looking for homes for sale in Monument, you’ll need to hire a professional realtor who specializes in your area’s housing market.
With a realtor by your side, you can look for homes in several different ways:
- Search real estate websites: Use filters and keyword searches on sites like Zillow, Trulia, and Realtor.com to find homes in your range. However, keep in mind that the pricing information on these sites tends to be inaccurate. For this reason, you’ll need to double-check any information you come across with your realtor.
- Check new construction: Going to builders directly can be a good way to find homes for sale in Monument and get a great deal. Builders may offer incentives and can work within your budget on brand-new homes.
- Attend open houses: Attending open houses can help you get insight into pricing for different areas and which home styles appeal to you the most. It also provides an opportunity to meet with realtors and potentially learn about other homes for sale in the area.
- Sign up for listing alerts: Consider signing up for listing alerts from real estate websites, apps, or directly from your realtor. Customized email alerts notify you when a home matching your criteria hits the market.
- FSBO (For Sale by Owner) listings: Homeowners selling on their own without an agent often advertise in local papers, flyers and signage, or online. You can look for these listings and make an offer with your realtor.
Are There Luxury Homes in Monument?
Yes, there are luxury homes for sale in Monument. It’s also possible to build your own custom luxury home on one of Monument’s lots of land for sale. Inventory for luxury homes is limited and often experience a high level of competition from other buyers. If you want to find the latest luxury listings before other buyers, be sure to get in touch with our team at Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty - Barb Has the Buyers Team today.
Are There New Construction Homes in Monument?
Yes, there are many new construction homes for sale in Monument. New construction homes have the latest styles, floor plan designs, and appliances. To find the best home builders within your budget and preferences, you’ll need to work with an experienced realtor like Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty - Barb Has the Buyers Team. Contact our real estate team today at 719-301-1802 to find a brand new home.
What Are the Best Neighborhoods in Monument?
Bent Tree is a small neighborhood of luxury homes within the town of Monument. It’s divided into five subsections, which each contain homes ranging in size from 3,000 sq. ft. to over 10,000 sq. ft. On average, lot sizes are around 2.5 acres, and there are 1,624 residents living in the community. Bent Tree is known as a wealthy area, with the neighborhood in the top 15% of neighborhoods with the highest income.
Kings Deer Park
Kings Deer is a luxury golf course neighborhood in Monument, Colorado. The community is 1,800 acres and includes the Kings Deer Golf Club, which has an 18-hole championship golf course. Situated along the northern side of El Paso county in Colorado, between Denver and Colorado Springs, Kings Deer sits nicely on top of the Palmer Divide at 7,400 feet elevation. This is one of the highest points on the Great Plains.
Town Center is a suburban neighborhood with medium to large-sized single-family homes and townhomes. The median home price is $572,967, making it 55.5% more expensive than other Colorado neighborhoods and 76.2% more expensive than other U.S. neighborhoods. Most homes are well-established, built between 1970 and 1999, though there are also some new construction properties. Town Center has a higher average income than 69% of neighborhoods across the U.S.
Woodmoor is another suburban neighborhood in Monument, and it also has medium to large-sized single-family homes. Most homes cost a median of $770,868, making it more expensive than 79.5% of Colorado neighborhoods and 87.4% of U.S. neighborhoods. There is a mix of resale and new construction homes, with the oldest homes built between 1970 and 1999. Woodmoor is considered more family-friendly than 98.3% of other Colorado neighborhoods.
What’s the Quality of Life in Monument?
Monument is served by the Lewis-Palmer School District, which has 6,500 students and a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. The district spends $8,294 per student, which is less than the U.S. average of $12,383. There are eight total schools in the district, including five elementary schools, one middle school, and two high schools.
The Monument job market is experiencing a higher rate of growth than the national average, at 38.20% compared to 30.54%. The unemployment rate is 2.5% compared to the national rate of 4.1%. The average individual income is $44,204 and the average household income is $102,278.
Cost of Living
Monument’s overall cost of living is 10.3% more expensive than the rest of the U.S. and 10.2% lower than the rest of Colorado. The highest cost is housing, which is 129.7% higher than the U.S. average and 62.2% higher than the Colorado average. The lowest cost is healthcare, which is 17.4% cheaper than the national average and 1.2% cheaper than the state average.
Crime and Safety
Monument has a violent crime rate of 11.8% which is about half of the U.S. average of 22.7%. The property crime rate is 38.3%, slightly higher compared to 35.4% for the national average. The violent crime rate in Monument was higher than the rates for the rest of Colorado and the U.S. as a whole in past years. But in more recent years, it has remained much lower than both.
Weather and Climate
Monument experiences a semi-arid climate characterized by distinct seasons. Summers are warm and dry, with daytime highs in the 80s and occasionally the 90s Fahrenheit. Winters are typically cold, with temperatures often dropping below freezing. Snowfall is common, creating picturesque winter landscapes.
Healthcare and Hospitals
The cost of healthcare in Monument is 17.4% cheaper than the national average and 1.2% cheaper than the state average. The town also has 201 physicians per 100,000 residents, which is slightly lower than the U.S. average of 210 physicians.
The nearest hospitals and urgent care centers near Monument are:
- UCHealth Memorial Hospital North
- CommonSpirit Penrose Hospital
- UCHealth Primary Care – Monument
- Concentra Urgent Care – Rockrimmon
What Are the Top Things to Do in Monument
Monument has a blend of natural wonders, parks, and cultural attractions. It especially has plenty of options for those seeking outdoor adventures. Some of the top things to do in the area are:
- Garden of the Gods: A short drive from Monument, this iconic natural landmark features stunning red rock formations, hiking trails, and breathtaking views.
- Monument Lake: This scenic lake offers fishing, boating, and hiking opportunities, providing a peaceful retreat for nature enthusiasts.
- Mount Herman Trailhead: Hike or bike along the Mount Herman Trail, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and forests.
- Western Museum of Mining & Industry: Learn about the region’s mining history and heritage at this museum, featuring exhibits, artifacts, and demonstrations.
- Downtown Monument: Stroll through the charming downtown area, featuring local shops, eateries, and historic buildings.
- Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center: Experience wildlife conservation and education at this center, where you can learn about wolves and other rescued animals.
- Santa Fe Regional Trail: This multi-use trail provides opportunities for walking, running, and biking, offering scenic views of the surrounding landscapes.
How Can I Find the Best Homes in Monument?
Ready to discover the best homes for sale in Monument? At Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty - Barb Has the Buyers Team, Barb Schlinker and our team of seasoned real estate professionals can help you find the latest listings in the community.
With over 27 years of experience, we’re the best realtor in Colorado Springs and Monument for a reason. We have built a reputation for providing a smooth and stress-free home-buying journey. Plus, we offer a unique VIP Buyer Program that offers curated property hotlists, complimentary home-buying resources, and our unique Buyer Satisfaction Guarantee.
People Also Ask
Does Monument, Colorado, have a downtown?
Yes, Monument has a historic downtown area.
What is the average household income in Monument, Colorado?
The average household income in Monument is $102,278.
What is the sales tax in Monument, Colorado?
Monument has a sales tax rate of 7.63%, which is made up of the city, county, and state tax rates.
What is the altitude of Monument, Colorado?
Monument has an altitude of 6,975 feet.
Where does Monument, Colorado, get its water?
Monument gets its water from nine different water wells located throughout the Denver Basin.